Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. repeater

repeater
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Is there ever a situation where you get cel p0016 and its not a timing chain?
    I don't have a rattle, If I use paddle shifters or even just sport mode (lincoln mks 2013, 100k miles) I don't get the p0016.
    I was initially getting p0019 and replacing the phasers moved me to the p0016 cel.
    Car goes to dealership tomorrow, if its the chain then so be it. But would be great if it wasnt.
    Also what is a reasonable quote for replacing the timing chain?

THanks

2. 3.5twinturbskis

3.5twinturbskis
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Hey I have this same problem on my 12 ecoboost. When I shift manually I don't get the code at all. I'm still worried though that it os the timing chain.

Let me know what your mechanic finds out id be very interested in his solution to this problem.

Im away working right now so im not using the truck. But once I return home I need to nail this problem.

Best of luck.

3. repeater

repeater
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Timing chain. I dropped the car off at 9:30, by 11 they had already "diagnosed" the issue. I know others don't agree, and humbly admit im not a car guy by trade or nature , but when did am I the only one who thinks calling a timing chain ( or anything costing in the neighborhood of 10% or more of the original purchase price) is a bit of a reach? I get the idea behind wear items(tires, battery, struts,shocks,breaks,wipers,filters,oil ), but if a timing chain, buried in the engines nether regions, can be a wear items, doesn't that seem like something you don't want to make quite so challenging to get to? Thank God they didn't decide to put the opening to the washer fluid in there. I get it, not going to change as often, but I don't put my keys in a cup of water in the freezer, because I may need to get to them. When married, I did put the credit cards in a metal cup of water in the freezer to give the ex time to think if they really needed to be used, or maybe allow jusr enough time for her conscience to show up.

4. 2013ExplorerSport

2013ExplorerSport
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Given the timelines of the comments and activity I decided to join this forum today hoping that perhaps someone may be able to provide a few thoughts to the new found predicament of whether or not I should make an effort to repair my 13' Exp Sport w/116k or buy another car.

It should be noted upfront that the mechanic and service rep from the Ford dealership are close friends of mine and I have absolutely no reason to believe their advice and or diagnosis was less than honest. I'm more inclined to believe they are unable to truly find the exact problem w/out simply drilling down to the fundamentals of a code and are truly trying to manage my expectations.

I was informed the code for my CEL was also POO16 which came with an explanation that provided me w/the possibility of the engine blowing up (not really, but ceiling is the same thing to me). To be fair, he didn't say it that strongly but the amount of uncertainty as to the possible rabbit hole of repairs this code provides is terrible. In the end the POO16 was diagnosed requiring replacement of the timing chain to the tune of $4,500.

If the POO16 wasn't bad enough, it was discovered during the oil change at another dealership the same day that the PTU was leaking. (I get Free Oil Changes from the dealer I bought it from but friends now work at another dealer so I go to them for everything else) Replacing the PTU is another $3,000.
    The worst part about this was watching a youtube video of a guy taking one a part who indicated that the biggest issue w/the PTU is a bolt that is known to come loose simply needs to be tightened and can from the bottom when the car is on the lift. However, when diagnosed w/the code, it's simply replace for $3k rather than tighten the bolt. Not to mention it appears that again through the wonderful rabbit hole of research I've done in the past 3 hours that the oil in the PTU is commonly changed. WTF?

So far, I'm looking at $7k in repairs that had nothing to do w/replacing my front brakes/pads/rotors as I intended to do which was $600 and the $1,300 for new tires (somewhere else) I was intending to do today as well. The worst part, before all of this, never had an issue w/the car in fact, I love it and still do.

However, the bigger issue I have with is making a code relating to what appears to be a very expensive job being so vague that mechanics can't provide enough certainty as to a diagnosis other than to simply follow the codes core focus which appears to be more often then not, very expensive. My limited research in these forums has provided similar comments regarding design flaws, bad parts, etc. leading to extensive labor and costs w/replacing timing chain and PTU.

I feel like my options are do nothing and hope for the best, invest $9k into the car, or sell/trade it in for $12-$14k (KBB - friend cleared the code so CEL is off but he couldn't say how long it would stay that way). I feel like my options are spend $9k or $50k on another car. Not to mention if I sell/trade I have a difficult time knowing it's going to eventually be a problem for someone else.

I am getting another opinion but I'm not feeling to optimistic about it. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments from anyone who thinks they could be helpful. Thank you.

5. joej88

joej88
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Did you ever find a solution to the problem, I am having the same thing?

6. 3.5twinturbskis

3.5twinturbskis
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Yes my timing chain was stretched 1/2 an inch and my cam chain adjuster was all the way out because of a clip that came off. I could be wrong on the part name but the truck runs fine again now. Cost me 3000 CAD for parts and labour.

7. repeater

repeater
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Replaced timing chain. Runs great now.

8. TPRO71

TPRO71
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

$2700 for a timing chain replacement and good to go.

9. Chandler Eash

Chandler Eash
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I've been dealing with a noise on cold startup this winter and last week it started to run rough. First got a miss fire code and now a P0016. Thanks to this website, I'm pretty confident I now know its a stretched chain. I'll be getting quotes from shops this week, but figured I'd ask if all of you got the phasers replaced as well? And if this definitely sounds like timing chain?

Thanks,

10. David Enderle

David Enderle
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

i have a 2011 f150 FX4 with the 3.5L ecoboost engine. when i start my truck i dont notice a rattle sound but when i first start moving... especially in reverse theres an extremely loud rattle noise. i dont notice the sound when i am driving but when i come to my first stop after begining to drive the rattle is there and very loud and getting louder day by day it seems. the check engine light is only on every so often so im wondering could this rattle be related to a timing chain issue?

11. patrick

patrick
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

It is just not warranty work they are slow on. I have same issue with timing chain. I was told 12 hour job. Scheduled it for a week later. Took it in Monday and called them Friday and it was not done because a large service vehicle took too much time. Next week called on Thursday. Service advisor said let me check with the mechanic. 5 minutes on hold and he comes back and said it will be done today. Call on Friday and talk to same person and he goes back to check with mechanic and came back 5 minutes later and said there was no write up on it and he would have to contact someone. I called back 1.5 hours later and got the manager. He said he would look into it. Waited an hour and decided to go check into it. He told me at that time they now have it in the garage. Now it is the following Wednesday and I am being told it is now being worked on and will be done Friday. I call BS on the entire thing. Ford will be hearing from me. I have been a dedicated Ford buyer. That just might change. Do you all remember the Ecoboost commercial with Mike Rowe about all the testing this engine was put through? They must have either done a cost reduction after the test engine or put about 10 timing chains on it.

12. Josh Siegers

Josh Siegers
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I have been bearing the rattle from a cold start for a few months and now getting 0016 code. I received a quote for around $2200 for fixing. The machinists said to fight with Ford to have them fix it even though I am out of warrantee. Has anyone gotten it fixed out of warrantee for a good price?

13. Josh Siegers

Josh Siegers
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

How mich did your end up being?
    do you remember the price?

14. Brant Mangrich

Brant Mangrich
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I have been dealing with the same thing the last few months. I have no warranty either, talked to Ford they said theres nothing they do for it as of now....as its been going on for 10 years now!!! I’m just gonna let mine make the noise unless someone can convince me to get it fixed.

15. John Thompson

John Thompson
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I have the 2011 3.5 king ranch had chain replaced 2015 within weeks afterwards the startup rattle continued until the tensioner took up the slack no power on acceleration and bad hesitation on upgrades finally the motor finally stalled and wont start so now the motor has to be redone phasers as well as the chain and whatever else has be destroyed from the chain blowing

16. Chandler Eash

Chandler Eash
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

$2,465 just sent a message to you with more details

17. John Thompson

John Thompson
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Rite now my truck is sitting on a ford lot I am refusing to pay for them to replace the motor on there mistakes so they want $670 cad +roughly $3500 for a USED motor plus install after them replacing the chain and never touched the phasers