Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

2011-2012 Ford Truck F150 2WD V6-3.5L Turbo
    • Engine Controls - Stumble/Misfire, DTC P0304-P0306 or P0430
    TSB 13-8-1

08/08/13

3.5L GTDI - INTERMITTENT STUMBLE/MISFIRE ON
    ACCELERATION FROM HIGHWAY CRUISE IN HUMID
    OR DAMP CONDITIONS WITH POSSIBLE DTC P0304,
    P0305, P0306, OR P0430

FORD: 2011-2012 F-150

This article supersedes TSB 13-3-3 to update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE
    Some 2011-2012 F-150 equipped with a 3.5L gasoline turbocharged direct injection (GTDI) Ecoboost engine may exhibit an intermittent stumble and/or misfire on hard acceleration after an extended drive at highway speeds during high humidity or damp conditions. This may result in either a steady or flashing malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) P0304, P0305, P0306, or P0430 may also be present. Evidence of misfire may be available in Misfire Freeze Frame Data even with no active DTCs.

ACTION
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1. Acquire Misfire Freeze Frame Data and DTCs with the Integrated Diagnostic System (IDS) service tool. Use the following steps with IDS to obtain Misfire Freeze Frame Data.

a. Select Toolbox

b. Then Data Logger

c. Then Modules

d. Then PCM

e. Next, select the following PIDs: MFF_LOAD and MFF_RPM.

2. Is the misfire concern only repeatable in humid or damp conditions?

a. Yes - Proceed to Step 3.

b. No - This article does not apply. Refer toPowertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis
    (PC/ED) Manual Section 3: Powertrain
    Symptom Index to inspect such areas as
    Ignition, Compression, and Injection.

[​IMG]

3. Does the Misfire Freeze Frame Data indicate engine speed above 2500 rpm and load 100% or above? (Figure 1)

a. Yes - Proceed to Step 4.

b. No - This article does not apply. Refer toPC/ED Manual Section 3: Powertrain

[​IMG]

4. Is vehicle equipped with latest level charge air cooler, engineering part number BL34-9L440-AE? (Figure 2)

a. Yes - This article does not apply. Refer toPC/ED Manual Section 3: Powertrain

b. No - Proceed to Step 5.

NOTE

CARE NEEDS TO BE TAKEN NOT TO INSTALL
    THE REVISED BOTTOM AIR DEFLECTOR ONTO
    CHARGE AIR COOLER ENGINEERING PART
    BL34-9L440-AE AS IT WILL RESULT IN HIGHER
    MANIFOLD AIR CHARGE TEMPERATURES AND
    SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF ENGINE PERFORMANCE.

5. Is DTC P0430 present?

a. Yes - replace the left hand catalytic converter. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 309-00. Proceed to Step 6.

b. No - Proceed to Step 6.

[​IMG]

6. Is the Charge Air Cooler equipped with the top air deflector? (Figure 3)

a. Yes - remove and discard. Refer to WSM, Section 303-12. Proceed to Step 7.

b. No - Proceed to Step 7.

7. Install revised bottom air deflector.

[​IMG]

a. Make sure that the lower forward facing bottom seven (7) tubes and eight (8) rows of fins on the Charge Air Cooler are dry and free of dirt and debris. (Figure 4)

b. Clean the charge air cooler lower forward facing bottom seven (7) tubes and eight (8) rows of fins by wiping sur[ace down with isopropyl alcohol.

c. Peel the protective tape off the adhesive side of the deflector.

[​IMG]

d. Install the deflector onto the charge air cooler core sur[ace insuring the forward facing bottom seven (7) tubes and eight (8) rows of fins are covered and pressing firmly into place by hand maintain even pressure for 30 seconds. (Figure 5)

8. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration level using IDS release 79.02A or higher. This new calibration is not included in the 2012.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at the website.

NOTE PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY. WHEN THE ADAPTIVE STRATEGY IS RESET, THE COMPUTER WILL BEGIN A RE-LEARNING PROCESS. THIS RE-LEARNING PROCESS MAY RESULT IN FIRMER THAN NORMAL UPSHIFT AND DOWNSHIFTS FOR SEVERAL DAYS.

[​IMG]

Parts Block

2. Joshschmidt

Joshschmidt
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

Interesting... I had the upper cover on mine which I removed, but blocking air on the intercooler seems like a bandaid..

Turbo13 likes this.
  3. Aaron Flowers

Aaron Flowers
    Expand Collapse

I had the PO 430 PTC and had the warranty replace the converter then they took off the upper air dam and replaced it with the lower. It works well now. Joshschmidt what I was told by the tech that fixed mine is that the chargecooler was working too good and they had to restrict some of the action, to reduce moisture buildup.

4. Joshschmidt

Joshschmidt
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

Yea that is what they say... But I think it is more because of the design of the intercooler. Most people that had issues with condensation say that the Wagner and other aftermarket intercoolers fixed the problem...I'm Looking to buy the Wagner personally..

5. Dennis

Dennis
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I've had the TSBs performed over a year ago and a funny thing happened this week. While driving with the local Ford dealer's assistant service manager for a steering wheel tuning fork type vibration, I had to accelerate to merge into traffic on the interstate and it was raining to which my 2012 4x4 F150 EB with 27,000 miles lost all power. The problem lasted between 1/4 & 1/2 mile. Truck flying up behind us came close to the rear bumper. May have been showing his displeasure with me pulling in front of him then immediately slowing down or really almost hit us. Not fun! The engine finally picked back up and ran fine. No engine lights came on. I left the vehicle for the service work I had scheduled along with this new problem. When I picked it up, the dealer said they did not find anything and would look into it further and call me in a few days.

If someone finds my post in this older string and has resolved a similar issue or knows of a resolution, please let me know.

6. Aaron Flowers

Aaron Flowers
    Expand Collapse

My 2012 3.5 EcoBoost has a regular cough/misfire while driving and going uphill at 55MPH regularly. I have had the left catalytic replaced, and the air dam removed and replaced to the lower area.
    While driving and this happens, if I put the transmission in the manual mode taking it out of overdrive, the problem is immediately solved. I am wondering if there is so great a pull at between 55 and 60 during normal driving that it exceeds 100% for the trans and motor causing a power failure. As soon as I move it into the manual mode out of overdrive at the same speed the problem resolves itself,

7. Mick

Mick
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I have experienced this several times and thought that the engine was going to rip itself out of the frame. Frightening to say the least. I was advised to install a mega catch can available aftermarket. It is a clean look and collects moisture and any oil from the intercooler. I’ve yet to do this but have seen an installation. Funny my FORD service techs disavow any knowledge of a problem .