Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

2017-2019 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator - 3.5L EcoBoost - Excessive Oil Consumption

• Engine - Oil Consumption, DTC- P0365 and/or P0369
    SSM 47983

5/14/2019

3.5L GTDI - excessive oil consumption with or without diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0365 and/or P0369.

FORD: 2017-2019 F-150, 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator

ISSUE
    Built On Or Before 1-Apr-2019 Some 2017-2019 F-150 and 2018-2019 Expedition/Navigator vehicles equipped with a 3.5L ecoBoost engine built on or before 1-Apr-2019 may exhibit excessive oil consumption with or without diagnostic trouble code (DTC) P0365 and/or P0369.

ACTION
    If there are no visible external oil leaks, replace both valve covers. Refer to Workshop Manual, Section 303-01. For claiming, use causal part 6582 and applicable labor operations in Section 6 of the Service Labor Time Standards

2. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Hello, my covers were replaced on a 19 raptor. It was not runn6 right...power loss and surging under acceleration. Then engine light came on. Took to dealership and they replaced the covers. Also states dtc p0365 now stored as continuous dtc. Truck still does not run right...surging and lack of power. Boost also goes higher than it used to. Any recommendations? I took it back to the dealership and am waiting for the response. He initially said oil was getting on the pcv valve and making it run poorly. ...but they did not replace it. Maybe it needs cleaning or replacement?

3. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

Unfortunately, this seems like an issue that even Ford is still having trouble finding the cause of. I've heard a few cases of dealers replacing the cylinder heads and not even that worked. I'm sure the admins will keep this thread going with any updates that come their way though, since this seems to be a pretty serious issue.

4. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Thanks! Ok.

5. Bill Finn

Bill Finn
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Had both covers replaced today after the engine light came on, 3000 miles on a 2019 Limited with the 3.5 Raptor Motor. The motor was down 2 quarts.

Steven Dawson likes this.
  6. Wheelie

Wheelie
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Mine seems to be doing ok after the fix. Still holding oil as well.

7. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

Damn, and only after 3k?! That's some shit. Definitely keep us posted if that ended up fixing it or not.

8. Bill Finn

Bill Finn
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Will do.

9. Steven Dawson

Steven Dawson
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Bill Finn

I had the same exact problem. I had 3K on the OD in a 2019 Limited (purchased in March) and my check engine light came on! I too had extreme loss of power and the boost levels were almost pegged when trying to accelerate pass 50 MPH. Dealer was closed at the time, limped home and set up appointment for the next morning. Started my truck the next morning and drove off and what-do-you-know, the truck drove like brand new again! Went to dealer anyway to get diagnosis. The dealer OBD'ed and popped P0365/P0369 codes, they said I was down two quarts of oil (burn-off). Recommended replacing both valve covers (per SSM 47983). However parts will have to be ordered. That's really eerie........

10. John Gardner

John Gardner
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Just got my 2019 F150 Limited back for this same reason, P365. 5500 miles and was down 5 quarts of oil. It makes no sense that the fix is to replace the valve covers. there is no difference in the new covers and there were no leaks. Sure hope this works but it sounds like an attempt to just do something.