Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DFM23

DFM23
    Expand Collapse

I have to purchase a regular tune before I can upgrade to the PR-X. So I was wondering what tune to get. I'm thinking 93 performance/race, but not sure how close in comparison it is to the PR-X. Should I get a less aggressive tune and then add PR-X?

2. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

The tune you get to start will be a little bit different when it comes to transmission settings than the PR-X. The PR-X tunes do not offer different settings in regards to the transmission. The tunes MPT offers has 4 levels: Race, Street, Chill, and Stock. Race being the most aggressive and stock being... well stock. The PR-X tune only offers it with MPT Trans Tuning or without. From what I have been told, MPT Trans Tuning with the PR-X is inbetween Race and Street when it comes to how aggressive it is. For your first tune, picking what setting will depend on your personal preference. If you want the most aggressive set up, go Race. If you are worried Race will be too aggressive, go Street.

Keep in mind the gains in power are exactly the same with the 93 Performance Tune and the 93 PR-X. It is just different in how the power is delivered.

Brando likes this.
  3. Kurry

Kurry
    Expand Collapse

Im getting everything dialed in before purchasing my setup but I was worried the tunes I have chosen might be too aggressive in terms of shifting. If I don’t enjoy the 93PRX or 93Perf-tow shifting points how much to update to the “no trans tuning” spec?
    I’m going to give MPT the benefit of the doubt with y’all being professionals and all but I’m just curious.

4. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

MPT offers 60 days of preference based changes with all of their tuning. If you have any issues, just email them and they will help you out. If you want to change from MPT Trans Tuning to No Trans Tuning, that's normally the price of a new tune, but MPT may cut you a deal. Ask for JR or Duane should you need anything.

5. Boostedtow

Boostedtow
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

Good info. Thanks.

6. Barry

Barry
    Expand Collapse

Go big or go home. Lol. I got the race tune. All good

7. eecyclone

eecyclone
    Expand Collapse

I'm thinking PR-X, perf-tow, and a 87 perf-econ tunes

8. Barry

Barry
    Expand Collapse

First of all the PR-X tune is not rough shifting at all. Feel stock while driving normal. Still shifts smooth at WOT. Just quicker. Do I think it gives the extra 109 hp/158 tq? No I dont. But it is a vast improvement over stock. Dont be afraid of this tune. Get it for sure

9. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Have you discussed with MPT how you don't think it makes the power it should? Also, what octane are you tuned for and using? They may want to see some data logs from you to see how the vehicle is doing.

10. Barry

Barry
    Expand Collapse

No I have not simply because everybody exaggerates their numbers. Its just marketing. I have the 93 tune. I plan to do the dyno thing an see stock vs tune gains. Many people have done it, (google it) an they are much lower than they advertise. 70hp/80-90tq. But keep in mind all dynos read different an can be manipulated. The 4 inch exhaust on my truck advertised something like 40 hp/50tq. Which is a down right lie. Lol.
    For the record, I am happy with MPT tunes. Just think marketing dictates a little inflamation of the actual numbers. Just my opinion.

11. ScottB

ScottB
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I was able to get the 93 octane prx , 93 octane prx w/o trans tuning, perf tow 93 octane, perf economy 93 octane, and the adaptive any octane tune for my 14 F150 for around $230. You’ll have a tune for whatever stage you’re at or for whatever ride you want to have.

rinzlerdotexe likes this.
  12. Spladle160

Spladle160
    Expand Collapse

Was that with a tuner or did you already have one?

13. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

I'm going to purchase the SCT X4 and 5 tunes. I want to get all 93 octane tunes, but am concerned I wont be able to find 93 octane at all gas stations. Is the 'Adaptive Octane' tune sufficient in case the gas station only has 87 or 89 octane?

14. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

I would suggest 93 PRX, 93 Performance Tow, 93 PerfEcon, 87 PRX, and 87 Performance Tow as your tune selections. That would cover all of your bases. Lower octane tunes can upscale to better fuel, but high octane tunes can't do the reverse. Just my two cents.

15. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

Alright, I'll check those ones out. Thanks!