Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

These are twin turbo, high performance vehicles. They require better fuel. These vehicles are known to knock with 87 octane, completely stock and with no tunes. Using 91 or 93 will not only offer more power, but will also be safer for the vehicle and offer a better chance at MPG improvement. MPT doesn't offer an 87 tune for the 2017+ ecoboost F150 and Raptor because they stand by this whole-heartedly.

And yes, there is a huge difference in power between 87 and 93. Also, a tune set for 87 will adjust if 93 octane fuel is in the tank, but it will not reach its maximum potential like it would with a tune directly set for 93 octane. Also, th adjustment will not do the reverse. You cannot use 87 octane with a tune set for 93. Just adding that in.

2. Dennis Schultz

Dennis Schultz
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, now I know why it was quiet when I bought it, then a bit noisey after my fillup lol. I'll give better fuel a shot. One of the reasons I chose gas vs diesel was the fuel costs. With 93, it's more expensive or the same as the Ram ecodiesel (shouldn't be a word lol).

3. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse

The knock sensors are super sensitive, so they'll pull more timing than quicker than a higher octane fuel after the truck gets hot. 87 has also been known to damage the fuel systems over a long period of time. These trucks are high performance turbo charged vehicles, much like a Porche and GTR. Would you want to run 87 octane in one of those?

4. Dennis Schultz

Dennis Schultz
    Expand Collapse

wasnt aware but sounds logical, what do others run? different for daily vs towing? I get 93 for performance but I'm not racing lol

5. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse

Towing would most definitely be better on a full tank of high octane. For daily driving, you could always cut the 93 with 87-89 if you wanted to save a few bucks but still have a higher grade than the bare regular. I'd just stay away from any octane boosters, since most of them are leaded.

6. SeriouslyCrazy

SeriouslyCrazy
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Just received my SCT Livewire TS+ yesterday and already had my custom tunes ready to go in my email so I went about getting everything up and running on my truck and was very impressed with the ease of application. The tunes I ordered for my 2016 f150 EB 3.5l

PR-X 91 octane with trans tune
    Performance Tow 91 octane with trans tune
    Performance Tow 87 octane with trans tune
    In my area of residence 92 octane is the highest easily obtained octane so I went with the 91 tunes with 87 as an option at certain times.

The tune I have installed currently is the PR-X 91 tune and I have only taken a couple short drives but am pleased so far with the way the truck feels under normal driving. Will be checking out the power as soon as I get some miles.

7. Ssalib428

Ssalib428
    Expand Collapse

I hear the PR-X tunes are very noticeable over stock power. I'm curious to know what you think of the power as I'm consider ordering an ngauge with 3 tunes for my 2018 Raptor.

8. XBigBlueX

XBigBlueX
    Expand Collapse

Hi! New to this forum. Was wondering if MPT has tunes for 2019 F-150 EcoBoost. Also, interested to know what kind of 1/4 mile times people are getting with the 93 PRX tune.

9. XBigBlueX

XBigBlueX
    Expand Collapse

I am sorry if this question has already been answered, but can you still use the different driving modes (sport mode, tow/haul, ice/snow) with MPT tunes?

10. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Yes, you can. Though the tow/haul button is kinda useless, if you have a tow tune from them. Their tow tune is already set up perfectly for towing. Just remember no towing with their PRX tune. Sport mode will just make the throttle response more aggressive. Not sure about ice/snow, as like them, I am in FL and never have to use that function ever. It would probably just set up the shift points to whatever Ford has programmed into the setting.

11. XBigBlueX

XBigBlueX
    Expand Collapse

Can MPT send tunes base on truck setup i.e.(new turbos,170 degree thermostat, intake/exhaust)?

12. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Yes, they can. After purchasing the MPT tunes, you submit an MPT Tune Form. On that tune form, you will tell them not only what tunes you want, but all about your vehicle. The end of the form has a comments section where they ask that you list every modification done to the truck. Even if the part doesn't need tuning, list it there.

13. XBigBlueX

XBigBlueX
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the quick reply! I am a first time owner of a Ford f150 EcoBoost and I am very excited to get MPT tune for my truck. However, I also want it to be as reliable for as long as possible. What (if any) supporting upgrades do you think I should do for a 2019 f150 ecoboost to make it more reliable with tune? Do the 2nd gen motors still need a catch can?

14. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Thermostat and intercooler and #1 and #2 on the list. They will help keep the truck cool and keep the power consistent. Catch cans are good to help with longevity, but the newer models seem to collect less than say the 11-14 models do.

15. XBigBlueX

XBigBlueX
    Expand Collapse

Do you have any brand recommendations?

16. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

17. XBigBlueX

XBigBlueX
    Expand Collapse

How much boost does MPT tune run?

18. jtosborn1

jtosborn1
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Stock numbers for a 2016 3.5 ecoboost show/advertise 365hp and 420 tq. On the mpt website they are showing under 300hp stock. I'm confused on which is correct and how the 93 prx tune is making over 100hp gains?

19. XBigBlueX

XBigBlueX
    Expand Collapse

Those MPT numbers are probably measured at the wheels. The hp/torque #'s you see from the factory is measured at the crankshaft.

20. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse

Depends on which tune you get. Their 93PR-X tune will usually put out about 19-20 PSI.