Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 15PlatinumEco

15PlatinumEco
    Expand Collapse

How conservative are MPT Tunes? I drive 6 miles one way to work with a lot of in town driving and occasional highway. The truck is a 2015 F150 Platinum FX4 Ecoboost. I like most people want the impossible, I want everything. I want a fuel sipper and a dragster. However, there is always a trade off. What has me the most concerned is blowing my motor. Now, what actually blows these little motors up; I don't know..there are a lot of variables in that equation. However, I know that I am a Dad who trucks my little ones to school and enjoys some WOT bursts on the rest of my commute and on the weekends. I also enjoy hearing the turbos fire off matched with some very peppy throttle response. However, the truck was expensive so I feel like I need to really vest my money and interest into a Tuner that is conservative and gives boundaries like don't do "x,y,z".

I will not be going to the drag strip with this truck but I will do some spirited driving. I have seen some info on the Performance/Tow version that hit 356rwhp and the elusive "PRX tune" which was over 400 rwhp. What mods were accommodating these results? How safe are each one with everyday driving like I had mentioned? What was the AFR, peak/sustained boost, experienced knock?

How many trouble free miles can I expect? The dealership has me paranoid with my 2015, they say any little thing that happens with them Ford Corporate wants to know about it. Whew.

Galen Mitchell and Turbo13 like this.
  2. MPT

MPT
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Vendor EF Member Ecoboost Expert

In reverse order:
    Dealership Decisions: This is a 3rd party that makes their own choices so while we haven't had issues we can't say your dealer will be okay with you tuning your truck and returning to stock before service. That is a question for your dealer. You'll commonly see references to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act but if in doubt and you don't want to accept the risk/responsibilty of having your warranty denied ask your dealer. Also if tuning your truck has you thinking about this, you may want to consider the JMS BoostMax which is plug and play without flashing the truck. We have tested that product as well and it performs great when combined with the pedal max. Not as good as a custom tune but better than stock none the less.

Trouble free miles: I don't think you can answer that about the stock vehicle or any vehicle really. I wish we could but that would be false hope on variables that are out of our control.

Every Day Driving: All tunes are designed for everyday driving. You may have noticed we didn't rush to release our tunes like most vendors. This is because of the immense about of R&D put into development. The vehicles tested were 100% stock. The first vehicle we tested did swap to a 4" cat back exhaust and was tested again. We saw a slight loss of power which is common for 4" exhaust on the 3.5 Ecoboost no matter what year. Word of advice, don't go that big...

Performance Tow tune has lower boost levels and is just that a hybrid of performance and still capable of towing. Target lambda on both tunes are richer than stock as well as more conservative on knock retard range.

Right there with you on goals and daily driving. My Eco is a daily driver family hauler. I enjoy idle to 4000 rips, punching it and then back to fuel economy monitoring.

We have been very happy with the results and the feedback has been great. Sorry if I didn't give you a golden ticket response but I don't want to mislead you that we have control over 3rd parties or seeing into the future. We don't make changes that will decrease longevity but we also can't increase or predict the life of factory power train.

Turbo13 likes this.
  3. 15PlatinumEco

15PlatinumEco
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response, unfortunately yes i seek piece of mind. I realize you legally can not give that to me but I thought your response was fresh and reassuring.
    Any update on PRX?

Turbo13 likes this.
  4. MPT

MPT
    Expand Collapse

PR-X for the 2015 3.5 Ecoboost F150 is complete. 2015 2.7 Ecoboost F150 Tunes are on the heavy side of complete but not released yet. 11-14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5 PR-X tune is in the same boat. Doing very good and closing in on being available but not released to the public. We'll probably do a revamp of tune selection as well to match the style of the 2015 3.5 tunes.

Turbo13 likes this.
  5. 15PlatinumEco

15PlatinumEco
    Expand Collapse

I'm gonna save my dough and wait for PRX

6. MPT

MPT
    Expand Collapse

Scott starr likes this.
  7. 15PlatinumEco

15PlatinumEco
    Expand Collapse

8. 15PlatinumEco

15PlatinumEco
    Expand Collapse

Does the PRX offer decent economy so long as you respect it?

9. MPT

MPT
    Expand Collapse

With how fun the part throttle boost is, it will be hard not to enjoy it more than stock but if you can obtain apples to apples conditions then yes it will be same or better fuel economy.

Joshschmidt likes this.
  10. 15PlatinumEco

15PlatinumEco
    Expand Collapse

Just waiting on the Admin now to deliver the code

Joshschmidt and MPT like this.
  11. dewserb

dewserb
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member EF Member

Hello OP, and welcome!

Although you may have that "what if" factor in the back of your mind with regard to what your dealership may (or may not) do in the event you need warranty work, hopefully I can help alleviate some of that doubt.

All totalled, I have been MPT tuned for more than 70k trouble-free and amazingly enjoyable miles. The MPT crew is a fantastic bunch of fellas who take your truck every bit as seriously as you do and treat it as if it's their own. There's just no way that I can explain how much more fun it is to drive the truck with an MPT tune. The fuel economy is amazing (if you can keep your foot out of it), and the performance is second-to-none. I've had tunes from all of the reputable tuners out there, so I can say that with confidence.
    ;)

My personal experience with my dealership is that they really don't mind the tune. That said, I still return to stock before trips to the dealership for maintenance, etc.

It looks like your driving style is similar to mine. You're going to LOVE PR-X for your 2015. I have a 2014, but a good friend of mine is running PR-X on his 2015. He absolutely loves it, and it will flat-out FLY! Gotta love having a pick-up truck and a sports car in a single vehicle. Although we have different year F150s, we both agree that our MPT tuned trucks behave as they should have come from the factory. That's a testament to the overall daily driveability.

To sum it up, you're gonna love it. The torque is amazing, the horsepower up top is awesome, the fuel economy is fantastic, and driveability is as it should've been from the factory. You're gonna be thrilled with it, and I bet you'll find yourself actually getting excited about driving every chance you get.

If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to ask. I'm here to help.

Joshschmidt and Nandez like this.
  12. Turbo13

Turbo13
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

This is a great first post. Thanks for the questions, this type of information can be useful for everyone. Welcome to the EcoboostForum, OP!!

dewserb likes this.
  13. Joshschmidt

Joshschmidt
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

I have the MPT 93 race tune for my 2012 3.5 screw f150 and I daily drive about 60 miles per day. For me it fits my needs well I was up in the air about going with the race vs street shifting. So MPT sent me both to try out and both are great just race is a little more firm. So I went on and datalogged from there.

As far as dealing with the dealership just don't put any parts on the truck and you will be fine. Just take the tune off before going if you have warranty issues

14. Joshschmidt

Joshschmidt
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

On the highway I see better mileage than stock, but around town I see worse.

I'm highway it's all how fast you go.. At65 I get 22 23 at 60 I get23 24. At 70 I get 20 21... And on my rushing commute.to work at 80 mph plus i get crap..lol

Note. I also have 3.31 gears with a Detroit true trac rear differential carrier..

15. albert-0h

albert-0h
    Expand Collapse

Like Josh says, it's all about how you drive with getting gas mileage. When you get a good tune, everything changes, so you have to find those sweet spots over again. Find that spot in acceleration from a stop that doesn't destroy your fuel mileage, but is also efficiently moving you down the road. From a stop, you pick a steady throttle position that will take you to the speed you need to get to, once that speed is achieved, maintain a light load by either holding the throttle steady, or feathering it if moving through turns or up/down minor grades. I don't drive in hilly areas, so I can't advise to that... but similar rules should apply. Steady pedal movement, light pedal actuation, and staying as tame as possible when moving through traffic....Traffic is a real problem for gas mileage if you aren't extremely predictive when coming to a stop or getting up and going.... or stop and go traffic. As soon as you let off the gas, engine braking engages and slows you down without using any fuel at all,so take advantage of that.

Every person in every different area with every different driving habit is going to run the gamut from 25mpg to 5 mpg lol

Mandelbrot and Joshschmidt like this.
  16. BoostedNE

BoostedNE
    Expand Collapse

We only have 91octane around here. How much of a difference is there on the PRX tune 93 to 91? also is a 170* thermostat needed?

17. MPT

MPT
    Expand Collapse

The tune is adjusted for the octane so the 91 version will be turned down in comparison to 93 PR-X. General estimate is 3-5% less power. Adjusting for the thermostat is no problem.

18. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

A thermostat is not required, as MPT builds their tunes on stock vehicles. The 170 thermostat will help your vehicle's performance in conjunction with the tune.

19. kjkelley

kjkelley
    Expand Collapse

Is data logging necessary or are the tunes good when you first get them? Also are there any tunes MPT sells that you wouldn't pull a boat with on a 2012?

20. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

Datalogging isn't necessary. MPT will look them over for you, if you want to send them in, but their tunes are good to go when you get them.