Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JROD0488

JROD0488
    Expand Collapse

Looking to start my upgrades on my truck, 12 f150 lariat 3.5 and I know a CAI is one of the obvious go to's for most. I have read that going with a CAI has no real effect and running a good air filter will produce the same results. but have also read that cold air is a must have. before i go and drop hundreds of dollars on one, am i spending my money in the right place? if so, which one should i go for?

2. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

I've always heard that intakes can help with some low to mid-range power and even was told by a few people that it helped their MPG, but you are not going to increase your max HP and TQ with one. THough, it will let you hear the turbos more, which is cool!

3. JROD0488

JROD0488
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the reply. I’m definitely looking to get more turbo noise and power increase in any way is good in my book. So looks like I’ll be adding one to my cart. Any suggestions on which one to go for?

4. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

AFE and K&N are usually the ones I hear people having.

5. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

I think it's worth mentioning that an intake with an open air-box will usually be louder than an intake with a closed air-box.

6. 15kingranchf150

15kingranchf150
    Expand Collapse

In my opinion, I did do some research prior to buying the AFE stage 2 CAI. It is a twin air filter design with all aluminum piping and a pretty aggressive looking CAI. With this being an open box design as mentioned above, it will most definitely have a louder intake/ turbo noise coming from under the hood. Im very happy with my AFE stage 2 CAI, installation was easy and it does come with all the hardware needed, as well as a tube to insert within the stock piping to eliminate any check engine light codes. I would highly recommend this CAI to anyone wanting some of that turbo noise and a more free flowing intake, just my .02 cents.

Attached Files:

7. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

8. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

9. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

I was just wondering if one is louder than the other?

10. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

That may be a better question for AFE directly, as I don't think many people will buy both to compare them. They buy an intake and just normally stick with it unless something is very wrong with it.