Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jim George

Jim George
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

On the way home Friday, accelerating up to the posted speed of 55 (not at WOT) maybe 4K and I heard a "pop" from under the hood, engine shutter, lack of power and the "wrench light" came on. Safely got off the road to turn engine off (to clear wrench light) as I was close to stopping the "Low Oil Pressure Warring" came on. No crazy sounds and motor still running, got out and it was dumping the coolant... shut engine off and called for a tow knowing something happened and not to drive it. After the call I check to see what was going on and now we have an oil pond. Yikes.

2014 3.5L with 44k miles. no warning of any kind, no sounds, ticks, clunks, bangs etc. prior to the break.

Service manager calls today and we have a broken block and internal damage (kind of figured that happened) and they will have to do more research to see what all let go.... Now it's a warranty documentation procedure.

Guess the truck is out of service for a bit. damage photos later as I get them...

Anyone else lose a 3.5L motor?

20180406_175820.jpg 20180406_181027.jpg

2. Andrew

Andrew
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

I lost mine :(
    same things happened minus coolant. was all oil. had a piston grenade and put the rod through the side of the block.
    but hey that's why im now building a badass eco.

3. Jim George

Jim George
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Good luck on the build..!

I should have added another Ram 6.7L Diesel to the family! Doh..!

4. Michael Schonlau

Michael Schonlau
    Expand Collapse

5. MPT

MPT
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Vendor EF Member Ecoboost Expert

Steady state cruising conditions like that is usually a side loaded piston. Hyrdo lock or injector failure.
    Things I would pay attention to are the conditions of the map sensors, were they covered in oily substance fogging the ability to properly deliver the right amount of fuel, are any plugs fouled, when was the last oil change, fuel level in oil.

6. Timothy Eckert

Timothy Eckert
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Yikes! I heard about a dual value oil separators help to keep the oil out of the cylinders and the whole injection system. Witch should help with the build up of carbon and also the oil getting in your system where it shouldn’t. Most only need to be emptied around 4k miles I do it at 3k just to be safe and keep all that stuff out. It just replaces the old pcv system and your good to go. Also makes the engine run smother and longer