Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. 15kingranchf150

15kingranchf150
    Expand Collapse

Exhaust, I've been looking at catback exhaust for my 15 F150 EcoBoost. Searching forums and YouTube for information and sound clips to help me determine what brand is better performance wise as well as sound quality.
    There are numerous people on certain forums saying that the EcoBoosts are not gaining any noticeable performance increases from an aftermarket exhaust system. Exhausts for the EcoBoost are basically just a sound and looks upgrade. I figured I would email a few reputable companies that should have some insight on this subject.
    I emailed MPT, asking if an aftermarket exhaust, with their experiences in our trucks, was worth the $500-$1000? They pretty much said that there is not enough performance gain to warrant the purchase.
    I also emailed 5 star tuning asking the same question, to see with their tuning and Dyno experiences. They said that you could see 15-20 HP gains in mid range, however they provided no proof on this.
    To each their own I suppose, I however will be waiting to do any type of exhaust upgrade. When I do decide to upgrade exhaust, I WILL be putting my F150 on the Dyno before installing and after exhaust install for comparison purposes.

If anyone has any experience on whether their truck did see a performance gain or any insight would greatly be appreciated.

2. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

It all depends on what you're looking to get out of the truck. I'd say that both MPT and 5 Star's answers were pretty accurate. You may see 10-15 hp gains in the low-mid range power band, but that's on a stock truck with no tune. These trucks love tuning for power, so once you add on a 80+ hp tune to the vehicle, that extra low-mid range seems lost in translation, making the benefits of the purchase questionable. If you end up doing down-pipes at any point, stay away from anything larger than 3", as you may lose power/torque from upgrading to an over-sized down-pipe. The turbos are small, so the velocity of the exhaust gases exiting the system is more important than the dimensional volume of the outlet.

As you know, main benefits from a new exhaust are sound and aesthetic. Other benefits can also be weight loss, or even extending the life of the vehicle if the factory baffling happens to be going bad. I've seen muffler filling wear out and exit the tail pipe on these trucks before. You just want to do your research on the brand you're considering and making sure their product is quality. Nothing worse than spending hundreds of dollars on an exhaust that wont fit, sounds like ass, or just plain rusts out under the bottom. Hopefully this helps.

3. 15kingranchf150

15kingranchf150
    Expand Collapse

Great information, thanks for sharing! Most want that added look and sound, usually a good performance gain comes along with that. Being new to the EcoBoost platform, I'm learning alot about what these motors can do which is pretty impressive.

4. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

I have been looking at a ton of exhaust setups over the last few months. I wish that I could find one that sounded mean enough to justify, but I just can't seem to find one that sounds throaty enough. I've had my truck for almost 3 years now, and finally getting around to some mods to get some more power out of it. I was surprised to hear the exhaust doesn't really add much for power, but that's OK being that it sounds goofy anyways :).

Anyone find any exhaust that sounds deep and mean yet?

5. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

Choosing an exhaust is like listening to music. Everyone has their own tastes for sound. Pick the one that sounds the best to you and go with that. Youtube would be a good place to start.

6. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, I have done a bunch of that and haven't found anything I really like. May have to just keep it quiet.

7. Rooster

Rooster
    Expand Collapse

I've been to a few different shops asking the same question regarding exhaust sound / performance etc. I get the same answer everywhere. You will not get the same throaty exhaust sound that you're used to hearing from a V8 truck......It just won't be there. "Save your money for something else and leave it quiet."

8. Geek-O-Boost

Geek-O-Boost
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

The unfortunate thing is that any audio/video clips of an Ecoboost with a quality exhaust set up doesn't do nearly enough justice to how it actually sounds in person.

9. Rooster

Rooster
    Expand Collapse

I would love to hear from an owner that loves the sound of the ecoboost axhaust system and which one you have. I've only heard from third party sources that I wouldn't be happy. I am coming from a V8 truck so I'm guessing that I wouldn't be thrilled as I'll never get that sound again. But I'll take quiet performance over noise and no performance any day. I was interested in the Borla cat back systems, but I've never heard one in person.........