Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Curtis Henderson

Curtis Henderson
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

i have a 2015 F150 eco. If I put the catless down pipe will it not make my check engine light come on with no cats and the O2 sensors.

2. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    The guy who gives coupon codes.
    Administrator

You will get a check engine light with that modification.

It is kind of a pointless modification. There are no gains in performance with it.

3. Curtis Henderson

Curtis Henderson
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Would it be pointless with a cold air intake catback exhaust and a good tune?

4. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Yup, still not going to give you anything. Plus, you're going to drive around with a CEL on. The tune is going to give you the power out of that group. Exhaust on an ecoboost is for sound and looks. Purely cosmetic.

5. tbird462002

tbird462002
    Expand Collapse

i got a kooks green downpipe and have no issues with cel's

6. mbrahmer

mbrahmer
    Expand Collapse

Two questions: can I use the Raptor exhaust (high flow catted downpipe and Raptor catback ) on an F150 3.5l EB? And would this combo and a tune give any noticeable results in performance?

7. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Exhaust changes on an Ecoboost are cosmetic at best. It will not net you anything in regards to power. All the power would come from the tune alone. As for it being possible, I would lean towards no, as all the listings I have seen for exhaust parts show the Raptor and the F150 being separate. That would lead me to believe they are not interchangeable.

8. ‘Murica

‘Murica
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

If you remove the downpipe, would it be possible to tune for leaner AFRs while cruising? Or higher egts while in the throttle? Are the cats or turbo the limiter on what will melt first?

9. Iwestva

Iwestva
    Expand Collapse

Start with the tune, then high flow downpipes (they’re also not illegal, unlike O/R DPs), and I’d do an electric cutout exhaust if I could redo. Quiet when you want it, fast when you don’t

10. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Not all high flow cats meet what the ECU is looking for, so you will get a check engine light with them. They do not increase performance. They only change the sound. Not worth it in my opinion to mess with the downpipe at all. Plus, companies like MPT will not shut off any CEL related to the vehicle's emissions system. Use the money on something helpful.

11. Iwestva

Iwestva
    Expand Collapse

You’re not wrong. I do get a CEL now and again. Just clear it and roll on. I did feel (seat of the pants) that it spooled faster. HPwise. No clue.

I also got my set for pennies on the dollar ($150 or so). Probably wouldn’t be worth it unless pushing higher boost or bigger turbos.

12. Louis A Zoch

Louis A Zoch
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

How to clear the CEL ?

13. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Keep the stock cats on it. Simple as that. Going catless does nothing for Ecoboost vehicles.

14. Louis A Zoch

Louis A Zoch
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

I am putting on a Mishimoto catted downpipe with O2 sensors, not running un-catted....

15. rinzlerdotexe

rinzlerdotexe
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator

Most tuners have a clear DTC function. Just remember that the code will come back. High flow cats trigger the CEL as much as the uncatted pipes do.