Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. JROD0488

JROD0488
    Expand Collapse

I quick shipped an afe stage 2 and installed it last night, took it out for a ride and just doesn’t sound right to me. I would say under mild acceleration it sounds like air/pressure is gushing or whooshing back through the filters. More throttle and the “gushing” goes away and the turbo noise picks up. This may be normal and I just need to get used to it. my first thought was a bov is dumping but I’m not experiencing any power loss. Idk. Any thoughts?? Am I being crazy or should I should I dig into it?

2. 15kingranchf150

15kingranchf150
    Expand Collapse

I have the AFE stage 2 CAI on my 15 f150. I can definitely hear some air being sucked in while in the cab, the air filters are on the drivers side. Now that its getting nice outside, windows down you can really hear it. I did research before purchasing this system, everyone said that this system is one of the loudest CAI on the market for the F150 Ecoboost. Since its an open air box design, the noise will be more pronounced. If you still have concerns, maybe take to a local mechanics shop for further inspection, but this system is going to produce some noise from under the hood, personally I like the sound. hope this helps man.

rinzlerdotexe likes this.
  3. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

4. 15kingranchf150

15kingranchf150
    Expand Collapse

I have no experience with the CAI link you provided. Just on looks alone, the Momentum is a roto moulded (plastic) piping. The one I have has 2 separate pipes that are mandrel bent aluminium pipes.
    https://www.amazon.com/aFe-Power-54-12192-EcoBoost-Performance/dp/B007V2UVR2
    I cannot speak for performance, I wish I could have stuck my truck on the Dyno prior to installation to get hard HP and torque gain numbers.
    Now that I have my truck tuned by MPT (93PR-x) the AFE intake is much louder. Some might not like the noise, however I'm a gear head (have a modified 03 Cobra as well) and I like to hear these performance sounds even though my F150 is a daily driver.
    From what I've read and been told, a CAI is a better investment than a more expensive exhaust catback system for performance.
    I'm not sure if I answered your question or not but good luck with which ever you choose.

Attached Files:

#4 15kingranchf150, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
  5. Sam G

Sam G
    Expand Collapse

Thanks for the response! Yes, I went with the I described. It is a plastic pipe and yours is mandrel bent aluminum, however I called AFE and they said there is no noticeable performance difference between the too. I had the one you have on my 2011 F-150 and really liked it. I’m running the MPT PRX tune as well and it sounds great and the truck pulls hard. I also added the Turbosmart supersonic BOV and that sounds great too.

6. 15kingranchf150

15kingranchf150
    Expand Collapse

Awesome!! That is always the best route to go, calling into tech support to find out hard facts. I'm definitely happy with all my AFE equipment and I've dealt with customer service which was also top notch. I too have the Turbosmart supersonic BOV installed, it was a easy installation with help of a few YouTube videos. It's very hard to stay out of the throttle with this 93 PRx tune, haven't had any opportunities to race anyone yet. For most people, they don't know how well these Ecoboost trucks run tuned. A sleeper truck for sure, it doesn't run 11s but these F150s would suprise most cars if they ever tried pulling away from us.
    Kudos again on the new purchase and enjoy.