Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Ecoboost' started by Tyler Bishop, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Tyler Bishop

Tyler Bishop
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Hi Folks

Glad to join the forum! Recently picked up a 2015 Explorer Sport Ecoboost that was a bit of a mechanic special. Symptom was heavy smoking... and discovered that both turbo's were totally shot. Front one lost its turbine back one has huge play in it. Replaced the unit up front quite easily, and now moving onto the rear or "right" turbo as it's referred to..

I have it disconnected, however not able to REMOVE it from the vehicle.

I can maneuver it in it's little cavity that it's in, coming out the bottom it hits the front passenger axle/subframe, and trying to come out the top its hitting AC lines, the upper portion of the exhaust manifold, what the hell is going on?

Tried jacking the engine/trans up a little with a jack and block of wood on oil pan, and it almost clears, it really seems like it should come out the bottom, but due to the size and shape of it seems nomatter way I twist or reverse it gets hung up somewhere.

I saw this post which appears to be Taurus SHO and they hint that the lower subframe needs to drop which makes sense, any good ideas of how best to do that?

https://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=9106.0

Literally feeling STUCK on this one! To anyone who's done this on an Explorer, how did you get this unit out of here?

Thanks!

2. Tyler Bishop

Tyler Bishop
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Just found this on the Ford Flex forums, on the Flex they say it can be wiggled out by turning the long pipe of the turbo inboard but still not really sure what that means. Anyone do this on an Explorer Sport 3.5 ??

https://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=17751

3. XgaDsrdRowgt

XgaDsrdRowgt
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

4. JamesAcush

JamesAcush
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member