Join The
Ecoboost Forum!

Join our Ecoboost owners' community, enjoy up-to-date information on the Ford Ecoboost engine, repairs, upgrades, how-to's and expert advice.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. TwoTone

TwoTone
    Expand Collapse

Hey guys, I need some help figuring this one out. I'll start with the truck details.
    2011 F150 Ecoboost, around 60k miles. PCM is NOT tuned, it's stock.
    Modifications: Turbosmart Bovs, AFE dual filter intake, Wagner Intercooler, Bullzeye Turbo Wheels, Mak y-pipe.

Issue: While driving if I accelerate and let off quickly I have no issue. If I accelerate and let off partially but keep my foot in it I hear this pew pew noise. If I hold my foot steady the noise will continue until I let off.

What I've tried so far: First thought was the blow off valves, I've tried tightening them down all the way as well as loosing up as much as possible. I've removed them, re-lubricated and re-installed. I was previously tuned but returned to stock and the issue remains. I've also cleaned the MAP and TIP sensor, issue remains.

You can hear it almost going from side to side, not really a vent to atmosphere sound but a re-circ vent sound. Suck and Blow pew pew noise that is really annoying.

Here is a video that shows the issue I'm talking about. Has anyone experience this and found a fix? I doubt I still have a warranty so I need help from other F150 Ecoboost Owners.

#1 TwoTone, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  2. dewserb

dewserb
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member EF Member

Hey bud.

First, thanks for the detailed explanation of your issue. Secondly, welcome aboard!

Now for the issue. It's hard to tell from the video. Is it a "mechanical" sounding noise or does it sound more like air gradually being released from a balloon while pinching the end of the balloon?

From what I can tell, it sounds like a boost leak type noise. However, I can't see why you'd be having boost leaks under those circumstances. Seems like you'd be more likely to leak boost while in the throttle.

Have you checked all of your connections where boost is concerned?

TwoTone likes this.
  3. LAbayouBooster

LAbayouBooster
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member EF Member

Twotone I would start by installing factory bovs and while your doing that check all connections. Check you hot side pipes going into cac and charge pipe out and into tb. I know the factory clamps on the hot side tend to loosen up after time.

And check all around your cai, I say this by afe stage2 is at its loudest at low part throttle or low steady throttle.

TwoTone and dewserb like this.
  4. TwoTone

TwoTone
    Expand Collapse

Thanks, I'm checking to see if I still have the stock bov's. I tested them with a mighty-vac hand pump while they were off the truck. Cleaned them out real good and re-lubricated. I should mention that this wasn't always an issue. It just started one day and I've started going back to stock on modifications to figure out what it is. At first I thought it was the tune, but I can easily recreate it on the stock tune. You can hear through the dual filter afe intake, it almost sound like it is sucking through one side and blowing out through the other. If you held your mouth in a circle whistle fashion and blew out then sucked in both making a slight whistle noise. That is exactly what it sounds like. I hate it, if I can't figure it out I'm going to trade it in.

dewserb likes this.
  5. dewserb

dewserb
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member EF Member

Hey bud.

Meh, I wouldn't do anything as drastic as trading it. As you know, it's a great truck with tons of power and torque.

The more I think about this and after reading your recent post on the subject, I would be willing to bet that putting the stock air box back on will eliminate the issue. Also considering an aftermarket intake won't net you any tangible gains, you wouldn't sacrifice any performance by putting the stock air box back on.

Give it a shot, and let us know!

Turbo13 likes this.
  6. Turbo13

Turbo13
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

This should be a super easy troubleshooting step as long as you kept the stock airbox.

7. dewserb

dewserb
    Expand Collapse
    Staff Member EF Member

Any update on finding out what your issue is, OP?

8. TwoTone

TwoTone
    Expand Collapse

I've just had the Ford tool connected and we've found that while it's making the noise, the turbo wastegate is going from 12% to 32%. While that is happening I can see the measured boost at throttle inlet pressure sensor going up and down slightly but not near as much as wastegate. Throttle position sensor voltage is also moving slightly. I recall one severe case of this where the guy ended up getting a new throttle body and it fixed his modulation issues. Not exactly the same conditions to recreated it but this is still on my mind.

I'm thinking now it is related to the wastegate or wastegate control solenoid. I don't see what else could be cycling. The turbo itself doesn't have any sensors to read when the wastegate is closed or open so it has to be based on the sensor on top of the manifold. I haven't found the stock bov's yet, I did locate the stock inbox but haven't swapped it back on yet. I'm afraid that might just hide the noise while it is still occurring so I want to see if I can make it stop entirely with the intake still installed.

I've read about a tsb for timing change and did the recommended test of intake cam timing and it passed on that part. Nothing above .5 while driving and idling. The tsb says if you see above 5 to proceed with timing chain replacement.

9. Turbo13

Turbo13
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

If you put the stock intake back on, and the sound goes away, that is at least a clear sign as to why more people aren't noticing it.

10. TwoTone

TwoTone
    Expand Collapse

Stock intake was put back on and the issue remained.

11. david rogers

david rogers
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

Hey bud my 2013 is doing the same thing after putting the batmo wheels on and no one else knows what it is just I am going to work on it this weekendand hope I find out what it is, does not sound like a bearing problem.Thanks David

12. david rogers

david rogers
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

I unhook my wastegates and the noise is still there any update what it could be

13. MPT

MPT
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Vendor EF Member Ecoboost Expert

For this test you have to make sure they are hooked up straight to vacuum (no check valves) and bypassing the wastegate solenoid. Not running them to any vacuum would be a very good way to over boost badly.

14. Joshschmidt

Joshschmidt
    Expand Collapse
    EF Member

I know you have probobly been all over your engine bay, but just double check And put hands on/wiggle all lines see if something is loose or cracked. A lot of the time the smallest simplest things can be the root cause of bigger problems

15. Ford

Ford
    Expand Collapse
    Newb

Ever find the issue? My 12 does the same?